Thursday, September 28, 2006

Long time no blog...

Yes, my apologies for not posting in a while. I have been busy having more bad luck. Here is a brief insight into yesterday at work.

I had a great day. Out on collections, I noticed that the osf tyre on the van was scrubbed bald. So bad that I decided to change it for the spare. After removing all the mail from on top of the spare, I found that it, too was bald, or very close to it. John was not a happy chappie. Later on, I was putting mail from a company into the back of the van. A council mini tractor was spraying the pavement and, as I was at the kerb side, I got sprayed with weedkiller too!

At Dyce, part of my job decants mail to another driver. Known as a hub, they get back up the road quicker than me and I continue with my job. All the mail had been transferred so I closed the back door. The keys which I had left on the bumper got caught by the closing door and locked the keys inside. Part of the reason the keys were not in my back pocket was that there were at least four different keys on the ring. The main "all in one key" had been snapped by another driver the day before so someone had put the spare keys on the same ring. When I phoned the office I was told to "do whatever is necessary" to get into the van. By this time, the other driver was in hysterics and I couldn't help seeing the funny side in a helpless kind of way. My face did drop slightly, when told I may be there for a couple of days until a new key was ordered and I had to guard the van, whose front was unlocked, until then. In the absense of heavy duty cutting tools, I opted to try to pull one of the keys which I coulod see out so far. I managed to get the key out to the point where I could try to twist it on the ring. Eventually, in the same way as a paper clip snaps, I used work hardening to break the ring, extracate the key and gain access to the other keys and go on my way.

No comments: